Mental health is as important as our physical health. Mental health includes our overall wellbeing including psychological, emotional and social wellbeing. An effect on our mental health can directly affect our physical state of being which in turn affects our overall condition.
According the Wealth Health organization (WHO), "mental health is a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community”.
Mental illness is known to cause problems in behaviour, thinking, and emotion that make it problematic to cope with the ordinary demands of life. Mental disease is a physical illness of the brain. Mental illness can cause various mental disease and other dangerous mental health conditions and anxiety disorder and mood disorders being two implications caused by mental illness. Therefore, it is important to understand that minimum awareness about mental health and fitness is necessary. Our mental health affects how we handle stress and other related problems. The problem with our society is the stigma that we attach with mental or emotional health issue. We don't realise that maintaining mental health is as important as maintaining physical health. Most commonly, mental illness during childhood and adolescence affect us throughout our lifetime. Studies have proven that at least 1 out of 5 children and teenagers have some kind of mental illness. This in turn can lead us to life altering behaviours such as engaging in alcohol consumption and drug abuse, suicide tendencies, usage of tobacco etc. This leads to anti-social behaviour, intolerance and many more issues.
Ways to keep ourselves mentally fit:
- Exercise and take care of your body. Remember to keep your body hydrated at any point of time. Eat well-food enriched in nutrition and protein. Exercise helps you to keep away from stress and depression. Avoid smoking cigarettes and other tobacco items.
- Deep breathes and quietening your mind. It is a healthy practice to start training yourself to meditate. Meditation is the medicine for your mind. Meditation helps you feel calm and composed.
- Keep smiling even during hardships. This helps your mind naturally understand that you can stay positive in spite of hardships.
- Just learn to relax. The more the stress, the more energy and resources your body uses up. This in turn leads to a dull mind and body. So, learn to relax and take one step at a time. Don't overwork yourself.
- Try getting help when you need it. Not everyone can handle themselves at every point in their life. If there is something constantly worrying you, don't hesitate to reach out for help from another person.
- Psychologists are the key to a good mentor for a healthy mind. But if you're not comfortable visiting a psychologists, then always feel free to approach a family member, a friend or a colleague.
Set realistic goals. Why go beyond your capacity and over exert yourself? Decide upon what you really want to achieve and work towards that instead of setting a high goal that you cannot possibly achieve now.
Also, maybe we might not really notice but keeping a healthy mind can actually reduce your expenses. Your medical expenses are sure to be low if you're mentally fit since you wouldn't have to pay unnecessarily for all the medication and doctor visits.
As mentioned earlier, excessive mental stress and illness can cause more stress and depression. And this directly affects with your biological structure leading to physical illnesses such as stomach ulcers, CHD, high blood pressure, chronic headaches and many more deadly diseases. Deep amounts of stress cause your brain cells to shrink.
Learn how to deal with stress. This might be one of the most important pointers. Stress is a part of life whether you like it or not. Do practice to cope up with stress with the help of stress relieving activities. This can differ from people to people. So, it is upto you to find out your way to break free from the stress.
Surround yourself with happy and positive minded people. This will definitely have a great impact on you too. Would you prefer a friend along who would only keep cribbing about everything or a friend who would josh you along and someone who is full of positive vibes?
Studies have proven that better mental health means better financial stability and improved productivity. It is also proven that mental fitness helps you avoid criminal activities and victimization. Around 2.67 million people out of a population is said to have mental disorder leading them to engage in crime and other antisocial behaviours.
Often we try to deny our mental health problems and move on with our life. But it is very important to know that, that is not the solution to it. Look into what can be done, how can we tackle it and what are the measure to be taken. After all, better mental help means a longer, happier life. It helps you to think better and also engage in good activities.